“Swing, and a long one… way back, way back… go crazy, folks, go crazy!!”
“Peanuts, popcorn, crackerjacks”
“Get up, baby, get up… Oh yea it’s gone!!”
“Anybody want a sodee and a free straw?”
Oh yea, it’s here! The sounds of baseball! After a 5 month lull the 2016 Major League Baseball season is finally underway. I’m excited since baseball is my favorite sport. It helps being a St Louis Cardinal fan that makes my love for the sport skyrocket since the Cardinals are always one of the frontrunners to make a deep run into the playoffs. This season is no different, although the Chicago Cubs finally have a good team and will give us a run for our money. I’m excited, as I know it’ll be another great year, and thankfully I’ll be able to pick up KMOX 1120, the Cardinal radio station in St Louis, in Dallas, Texas. Soon I’ll be able to watch the games on television , and some day attend their games again.
Before being incarcerated I would attend approximately 10 – 15 major league games each season, with a majority of those being Cardinal games. Even when I was living in Wisconsin I would buy the cable MLB package just to watch every Cardinal game. Some people would say I’m obsessed, but I just have a passion for the sport.
It’s funny being here in Texas, there are a handful of inmates from St Louis. One thing we all have in common is that we all love the Cardinals. St Louis every year is rated the # 1 baseball city in all of America. While all of Green Bay and most of Wisconsin bleeds green and gold for the Packers, all St. Louisians bleed Cardinal red. I have a lot of memories attending , as well as watching, the Cardinals throughout my life.
Here is a list of my memorable moments:
- Attending the game Mark McGuire smashed a 545 foot homerun
- Watching Game 6 of the 2011 World Series on TV… need I say more?
- Attending the game at Wrigley Field in Chicago watching Greg Maddox pitch his 300th
- Watching my brother Eric catch a Barry Bonds foul ball, while my other brother claims that he got a fingernail on the ball as it entered the stands and that’s why Eric caught it.
- I have attended four Cardinal Playoff games without ever seeing them lose.
- Attending County Stadium last home opener game in Milwaukee WI…. “It was Freezing”!!!!!!!
- Tailgating prior to a Brewer’s Games
- Watching batting practice
- Getting a Field pass to watch batting practice before the game….Thanks, Tim!
- Attending the Easter Sunday game and watching Albert Pujols hit three home runs
- Meeting in front of the Stan Musial statue
- Buying pretzels from the pretzel man – a street vendor – before the game….way cheaper!!!
- Bringing my baseball glove to every game as a kid in hopes of catching a ball—even though we were sitting in the upper deck
- Ozzie Smith’s back flips to start every Cardinal home game.
- Besides Ozzie, watching my favorite players Willie McGee, Tommy Herr, Bob Forsch, Vince Coleman, and Ray Lankford
- Collecting hundreds of baseball cards
- Riding my bike with my brother to the baseball card shop and just looking at all the cards under glass without ever intending on buying any
- How about those Anheuser Busch Clydesdales?
- Singing “Take Me out to the Ballgame”
- Ernie Hays at the organ for years and years
- Parking a mile away from the stadium because my dad hated to pay for parking
- Fireworks after a win
- See the St. Louis Arch from inside the stadium
- A sea of red in the stadium
I know with my love of the sport, I’ll have many more memories and experiences of baseball in the future. If you’re a baseball fan, enjoy this upcoming season and attend a game or two. I can almost guarantee something will happen inside the stadium that you’ll remember for a lifetime.